Monday, October 16, 2006

Mend Blanket.

Mend Blanket.

I was sick this weekend and nothing made me feel better except maybe this yellow flannel blanket my mom made before she was married, over 30 years ago.

It is the softest, warmest, most snuggly blanket you could ever wrap yourself in and it is the favorite among all who get the privilege of experiencing its charms, including a few sleep- deprived cheerleaders at high school cheer camp. I stole it when I left home for college and have since claimed it as my own.

In college it served as a slipcover for a thrift store couch in my first dorm room. Then it was used as a decorative rug in the bedroom of my first apartment. So of course when I got married, it made the journey with me as well.

Unfortunately, due to all of the above, and memories of my brothers making mention of sleeping naked in the blanket when we were growing up , it has been washed about a hundred times. And it shows. It is the definition of thread-bare. In fact, there are many places where there are no longer threads at all. I have taken it upon myself to patch it with the softest fabric I could find. And it's still not soft enough. There are plenty of holes left to mend so if you know of a super-soft fabric worthy of the honor, please do let me know where to find it. We can't give up on this one, it's a keeper.

4 comments:

Liz Stanley said...

i have the same situation! i stole a super soft blanket from my mom's and now it's totally falling apart esp at the edges. I need to fix it but i'm worried it will cost a fortune. is this the same blanket we have the teddy bear pictures with? gross

Michelle Taft said...

like i said, it's been washed a hundred times. like probably literally.

Anonymous said...

to be clear, we weren't sleeping naked in it at the same time. at least that's not how i remember it.

Michelle Taft said...

oh no, the blanket is mine now, mom. it needs some major, major TLC though adn my sewing skills aren't quite up to par.

and yes, to clarify, my brothers spoke of sleepnig naked in it on separate occasions.

and sorry for the comment delays, i accidentally turned on comment moderation. it's off now.