Sunday, October 29, 2006

Buy Halloween Candy.

Buy Halloween Candy.

I can't buy Halloween candy until --at most-- the day before Halloween or else I will eat it all, gain 5 pounds, and have to buy more anyway. So tomorrow I will be off to get a stash and do all I can to refrain from opening it until Tuesday night.

I always wanted to be that legendary house in the neighborhood that we never found but were told by several sources that they gave away the big full-sized (or even king-sized) candy bars. Now I'm thinking Smartees should be fine, right? Our neighborhood is predominantly children under 5 and I just can't imagine handing a toddler some big Snickers bar. Seems ridiculous, really, now that I think about it.

If you, like me, are weighing your Halloween treat options, here are a couple of trinkets I remember from Halloweens past that I would recommend forgoing:



Don't be the lame neighbor that hands out tootsie rolls. No way around it, tootsie rolls are never cool.




This candy toy was in convenience and grocery stores around the nation in 2004 and the candy company that manufactured it denied it was meant as any sort of depiction of the 9/11 attacks, even though the fake item number on the front of all of them read 9011. Whether you believe the candy company or not, I'm thinking this candy toy probably won't go over well with the neighbors.




Snopes.com reported that the whole "poisoned candy" and most other Halloween-related candy horror stories were an urban legend. But last year a mom in a neighboring city of mine found this vile of cocaine in her child's candy bag. And the candy was from a daytime car-to-car trick or treat in a church parking lot. This treat caused quite a stir with the community so to avoid those pesky FBI investigations, I would have to recommend sticking to a more traditional approach to Halloween treats.

As a grown-up, I've assumed a different stance on this, my new favorite Halloween treat. People just don't hand out enough of this candy for me to steal from my kids' bags:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also my favorite...if they throw in a Mounds or two...best if they give the real double pack rather than the halloween single.

Liz Stanley said...

my mom used to steel our almond joys too!

Michelle Taft said...

Mounds are excellent too. Sometimes you feel like a nut, but then . . . sometimes you don't.

brooke said...

Eww, I hate almond joys! You can come to our house I refused to pass them out to the kiddies because I felt so bad and now they are all just collecting dust in our house until Easter when I decide its time to finally throw the gross Halloween candy out.