Sunday, September 17, 2006

Start Soup and Sandwich Sundays.

Start Soup and Sandwich Sundays.

There is a chill in the air today and it reminded me of my mom serving us split pea soup and grilled cheese sandwiches when we were kids.

Our church gets out at 2pm which is the perfect time for a light lunch before dinner so I've been wanting to start "Soup and Sandwich Sunday". It might only last one week but it was fun for today.

I stayed with grilled cheese but, sorry Mom, even my grown-up taste buds can't stomach split pea soup. Today I made this soup instead. It has portobello mushrooms so you feel fancy making it and that's all that really matters.

Golden Mushroom Soup
Serves 2 (I like soup in small quantities so it would feed like 5 of me)

2 tablespoons olive oil, Bertolli brand
1 large, fresh portobello mushroom, gills scarped off and mushroom finely chopped
1 can (10 3/4 -ounce) condensed golden mushroom soup (Campbell's brand)
1 cup water
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic, McCormick's brand (I like a less-intense flavor, so I only use half)

In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm olive oil
Saute mushroom until tender, about 2 minutes
Mix in soup, water, cream and garlic
Bring soup to a simmer, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes
Ladle soup into bowls and serve, preferably with milk.

3 comments:

Liz Stanley said...

mmmmm what kind of sandwich did you make with that? something with avocado?

Michelle Taft said...

oh no istayed with classic grilled cheese for this one. That's hard to beat. Although next time I may try adding avocado . . .

Michelle Taft said...

clearly