Friday, September 15, 2006

Instill a love of sport in my kids.


Instill a love of sport in my kids.

I want my kids to love to be active. They don't have to play any particular sport or even sport at all--it could be dance or yoga or whatever makes them happy. But I really want them to have the satisfaction of training your body mentally and physically, of reaching for and achieving a goal, and of course best of all--experiencing the endorphin high.

This is a picture of my just-turned-four year old at her very first soccer game last weekend. You think she has a love of sport?

Yes, she is crying and begging to go home and they are 5 minutes into the game. She ran off the field and fell into my lap crying. I'm pretty sure it was because her feelings were hurt she hadn't gotten to kick the ball. Which is an improvement over the first practice, when she ran off the field crying because a soccer ball had been kicked in her face.

Looks like I won't be a "soccer mom" for long. She's signed up and paid for 2 seasons though so we'll try again next week. I may have to find a more clever way to work on this one. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Liz Stanley said...

michelle you should just do what my parents did to try and instill a love of exercise: make her run around the block as part of her saturday chores. for SURE she'll love it and won't have wierd body issues!