Thursday, May 17, 2007

Give up Diet Coke.

Give up Diet Coke.

I didn't think axing Diet Coke from my life completely was a real long-term possibility until today. While out dropping off mail at the post office, I was taken by thirst and suddenly, I realized I hadn't had Diet Coke in a couple of weeks (gasp) and immediately stopped for one at the next Wendy's (who incidentally carries the best-tasting Diet Coke).
And it did nothing for me. No euphoria as I took the first sip, no calming sensation as it slid down my throat--nothing but maybe a little disgust for the taste that had become such a good friend of mine. I didn't even finish the drink-- which has never, ever happened. (I think I hold the record at numerous restaurants for most glasses of any beverage consumed by a single customer).

Then I came home and drank a Gatorade and realized this delightful beverage has been replacing my Diet Coke addiction the last couple of weeks. Gatorade and I --we have a history. We have been through a lot together. Gatorade has been my life-long "feel-better" drink since it first comforted me while I lie dying on the side of the track after my first-ever 400m race in high school. It has since gotten me through pregnancy sicknesses and ugly bouts of influenza and now, without me even realizing it, it has supported me through my Diet Coke withdrawal. Diet Coke, you are nothing to me.

Ah, a new addiction. Sugar-laden, yes, but still better than Diet Coke, no?




2 comments:

brooke said...

I don't even know if we can be friends any more. Just the mention of a Wendy's diet coke (they are the BEST ones) made me want to jump out of bed and go get one! I'm still craving it now, in fact I might need one tomorrow. That full of calories gatorade can't hold a candle to a good diet coke!

Michelle Taft said...

I made my kids Kool-Aid for the first time today. I poured them a glass then reached for my Garotade and realized I'm just drinking a grown-up Kool Aid.