Monday, November 06, 2006

Take kids to dentist.

Take kids to dentist.

I took this picture of my four-year old, Taylor, playing on the park playground today.

It is the last toothy smile from her for several years.

Within ten minutes of taking this picture, I witnessed her trip, fall forward on one of the metal platforms, her mouth hit first, and a tooth fly through the air. I scooped her up as blood started gushing and found the most absorbant thing I had on-hand (a diaper--a clean one to clarify), and put it to her mouth. I pulled it away to find another tooth had fallen out as well. The two front teeth. Poor thing.

I rushed her to the emergency room because there was so much blood--I didn't know if there were any other lacerations in there. They cleaned her up (after I explained the blood on my hand was from looking in her mouth and not from punching her in the face), then they sent her to a pediatric dentist (this had been on my list anyway so, this saved me a trip).

The dentist x-rayed for bone fragments, etc. and found she has another loose tooth in the front that may or may not make it. She's already next door playing at a friend's house so if I had to bet, I would give it less than a week. We'll see. And we never did find the flying tooth. We're hoping the tooth fairy finds it tonight on her route.

5 comments:

brooke said...

Oh my gosh! Poor Taylor! What do they do, just leave her with a big gap until she's like seven and her big teeth grow in?

Liz Stanley said...

poor taylor. that sounds scary!

Michelle Taft said...

yup, a big gap until her perm teeth come in and we hope they're not damaged. you can get a mouthpiece with teeth put in but this dentist said it can mess up your perm teeth and it's usually just a mess at this age. he said girls usually start to lose thier front teeth around 5-6 though? i was thinking 8 so i hope he's right. the poor thing is afraid to talk though and can't make the "th" sound or "f" sound for anything.

Michelle Taft said...

oh and i don't know if you can tell from the pic, but her friend cut a chunk of hair from the front of her head last week (she wanted to get taylor's hair out of her face for her) so the poor thing is really a mess.

Anonymous said...

Bless poor little Taylor's toothless, hairless heart! I probably would have thrown up when the blood starting gushing out of her mouth - signs I'm not ready to be a mom? Probably so. Props to you for coming to the rescue with a very resourceful diaper. :) I hope she's okay!