Monday, November 27, 2006

Read instruction manuals for appliances.


Read instruction manuals for appliances.

I got some great new appliances in my new house. I can't pick a favorite, but I certainly love my double convection ovens.

Problem is, my cooking has been way off since we moved. I have been adjusting the temperature in my ovens for convection but things have been cooking with unpredictable results.

This includes the Thanksgiving turkey. My mother-in-law came over and did all the real work, and my job was basically to watch it. It cooked for five hours on regular heat, which shoud have been plenty of time since convection cooks about 30% faster. This should even have compensated for my hubby turning off the oven (my little helper thought he was turning off the oven light) for an hour before I discovered it.
But when it was time to serve the beast, it wasn't yet done. I considered calling and having my oven checked.

But first I thought it prudent to take a glance at the oven's instruction manual. Good thing I did. Turns out there is a different button I push to use the convection. All this time, I had been using the ovens without the convection. Brilliant!

Between this, and the fact I couldn't for the life of me spell potpourri in the family game after the big meal, I am pretty sure I am getting progressively dumber, Flowers for Algernon-style, in my old age.

3 comments:

BloggDog said...

Its Popurri not potpie

Liz Stanley said...

potpie sounds yummier. michelle i totally will be the same way if we ever get new cool appliances. manuals are WAY too long to read

Anonymous said...

michelle i'm pretty sure your oven(s) is(are) bigger than our whole apartment.