Sunday, December 03, 2006

Learn to draw.

Learn to draw.

My kids' favorite new thing is to ask me to draw pictures and for them to color them.

I am not an artist.

But I used to think I was. One of my older brothers used to challenge me to drawing competitions. I must have only been 7 or 8 years old when I distinctly remember a competition with him to see who could draw the best banana. I lost but only because he was the judge. Mine was much better. His banana was hairy, as I've discovered most boy/man drawings seem to be.

My drawings turn out best when they're more cartoon-y. (Although I did draw an awesome lifelike bird in fourth grade that my family insisted I had traced. I didn't.)

I have gotten pretty good at barn and zoo animals but my kids have started demanding more. Lately it's been princesses or even something more specific like Scooby Doo.

I have discovered an invaluable tool in this new stage of motherhood. They are called "How to Draw" books. They have them for about everything out there and I checked out about 10 from the library. The one pictured here is called "How to draw princesses and ballerinas" and it is my favorite one so far. I can draw a pretty cute princess these days. Watch out, before long I'll be able to illustrate some of those children's books I've written and then I'll really be in the big time.

No comments: