Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Speak Spanish.

Speak Spanish.

I took 6 years of Spanish in the course of my education and know enough to communicate in the language.

About three of four times a year the opportunity presents itself to use this aquired knowledge. Every time I shy away from it.

Case in point. Last week a spanish-speaking man rang my doorbell and handed me a paper with directions written in spanish. I could see he was supposed to install granite at an address on a different street with the same number coordinates as mine. I knew how to give him basic directions in Spanish but he waved his co-worker out of the car who I could see knew a little English. The directions came to me first in Spanish. But did I use the Spanish? No, I translated it in my head first to English and made lots of hand motions to give them the directions. What an idiot.


Next on my life-long to-do list? Embrace those Spanish-speaking opportunities. No matter how idiot I sound, I can't look more idiodic than I did giving those directions with big wild arm gestures.

No comments: