Friday, April 04, 2008

Celebrate my birthday.


(Thanks Jen for the card from this site. They all cracked me up.)

Celebrate my birthday.


I entered the final year of my 20's this week and decided to send my youth out in style. I never thought 30 would scare me until over the last month I found a gray hair, injured my hip playing basketball, AND got the comment more than once, "You're only 28??!!" I would lie to myself and say it was my profound wisdom and maturity that prompts this comment, but well, read on...

I began the week with what appeared to be an innocent day of meeting a friend and her kids at the roller skating rink. Yup, those still exist. These new-fangled roller skating rules allow not only skates and roller blades, but scooters, tricycles and big wheels to boot. Taylor went on her scooter and Chase on his big wheel. It was really, really cute. And also looked really, really fun.

Here are some pics of the kids:

Chase is oh-so-cool with his letterman's jacket and big wheel with his friend Easton.



A daring face-first slide for Taylor.



As you can see, this place also had a huge room filled with the most giant bounce houses and inflatable slides I've seen in my life. These also looked really, really fun. The kids should have a birthday party here sometime, I thought. Too bad their birthday is still a few months away.


Then a light bulb went off in my head.


MY birthday was only days away. A few last-minute phone calls and about 15 of us ages 25-35 were out there skating and bouncing the night away. Who needs alcohol to have a good time?


It's unfortunate I don't have photos of the adults-only night out. But you can imagine how awesome we looked on the skate floor and how incredibly athletic we looked racing through the inflatable obstacle course (that I beat Jake on, thank you, thank you). Thanks also to whoever dedicated the couples skate to me and Jake. HOW did you know "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye was our wedding song?


Just kidding it wasn't. But really, props to all who indulged my childish idea. Especially Jake, whose birthday was last week and I tried to convince everyone this party was for him also. And I also appreciate that no one pointed out the fact that I lamely threw myself a birthday party.


29 4-EVA!

5 comments:

Brenna said...

That's a great picture of Taylor on her scooter. Tell her "hi" for me. And of course...Happy Birthday!

Jen said...

So, is it considered "poor form" if I borrow your idea to also have my birthday party at a skating rink? Seriously, that looks like so much fun. I mean, inflatable games?!

Michelle Taft said...

I stole the idea from a bunch of 6-year-old girls on scooters so I say steal away! Especially the bouncing part--that was the most fun. OH and make sure you learn the soulja boy dance if you haven't already. It will come in handy at the skate rink.

Nikki said...

WOW! That sounds like alot of fun. I am so sorry I missed you b'day. If it make you feel any better I missed Jake's too even though I did remember his 3 times that day I just forgot to call him. I know I suck. But hey he didn't call me for like 3 weeks to say congrats when I had the baby so I guess we're even. Oh yea I am total beleiver in the 29 4-ever thing.

Kelli Despain said...

That is a pretty great birthday party if you ask me! I love reading your blogs-it's obvious you are a writer. Happy Birthday-I'm sure our thirties will be fun?