Monday, October 06, 2008

Heal.

Heal.

You know what's not a good idea when you haven't slept in a week because you have a sinus infection and can't breathe?

About 1/4 mile into the race, I knew the best answer to that question: run a marathon.

One near-asthma attack, one panic attack, a sneezing fit, and one second degree hip flexor strain later I had made it to mile 7.

It was all I could do to limp home the last little 19 miles. Dehydrated, no less, from crying the whole way.

I'm going to go ahead and put this out there so it doesn't surface as blackmail as some crucial date later in my life. This is me, stumbling toward the finish line, six and a half hours later. If I look like I'm about to give someone the finger, or throw up, or lifelessly collapse, it's because I nearly was:

8 comments:

Brenna said...

I hope you did something to celebrate your success; you did it!!!!!

Amy said...

Look at those buff shoulders! You are amazing.

Val said...

Are you crazy?! What on earth possessed you to run when you felt so crappy! I hope you are doing better, and please take it easy for awhile. You are so amazing!

Liz Stanley said...

you are hard core. and completely insane. that's why i love you!

Jen said...

You, my dear, are nuts. And yet, strangely, I'm not at all surprised that you decided to run 26.2 miles. You are hard core. And in amazing shape - props!

sweetpea said...

I wish I was there to give you a big Hug!

Jordan said...

I know you said it was demoralizing, but I totally disagree. I think your story sounds like one they would feature as inspiring during a televised event like the iron man!

Unknown said...

Michelle you're awesome! It was so great to see you at club.