Saturday, October 04, 2008

Catch up on life.

Catch up on life.
Both because I've been both super-busy and super-sick as I endure the longest and worse allergy season of my life, I haven't blogged for a month and I'm going to catch up over the next few days.

This will come as a surprise to no one, but I have a little bit of a problem saying "no". Not because I'm afraid to, but because a million different things genuinely sound fun to me. And when I say "yes", I sincerely believe I will have the time and energy to do it all. And usually, I do. Every once in a while, though, my list gets a little too long and my stress level gets a little too high for any kind of peacable feeling in our home.

Chase started preschool this year and it has been a reality check that my time with these two little kids at home is quickly slipping away. My goal this year has been to scale back on on my million activities and focus for a while on being a mom and housewife and enjoying feeling fulfilled in just that. I love being a stay at home mom and wife have no doubt I can feel fulfilled being only that. So I don't know why it has been so hard to let go of other things.

One huge step in minimizing the clutter in my life was quitting my job at the paper. Although it didn't really take that much time away from home and I enjoyed the tangible accomplishment of seeing my writing in print, the stress of deadlines (and trying to sound professional while interviewing the mayor, locked in my closet with my four-year old banging on the door and screaming my name, then realizing I didn't bring my laptop or notebook for that matter into the closet with me and thus taking notes on a shoebox with a crayon...) had its affect on my life and as a result the lives of the rest of my family. It's been five days since my last story was submitted to my editor and I already feel lighter and more at ease with my kids.

Now the challenge will be resisting the urge to say "yes" to something else (or three something-elses) to fill its place.

Chase's first day of preschool (we're a month in and he LOVES it, and I love that he loves it):

No comments: