Sunday, July 26, 2009

Teach my kids how to be cool.

Teach my kids how to be cool.

I have been putting off telling about out latest family vacation, but something happened today that inspired me to post.

Let me start from the beginning and end with the cute story.

So a couple of things seemed to magically fall in place:

1. Jake got a $200 ticket on the Utah/Nevada border for not changing lanes when passing a cop pulled over on the side of the road. (YEAH). He had to appear in court to contest it before July 15. Not so magical, I know. Keep reading for magical part.

2. My friend Amy bought a house in St. George (an hour from the Utah/Nevada border) and wanted to invite our family down for a weekend with them.

3. New Kids on the Block was playing at the Palms in Las Vegas July 11. (Vegas is just over an hour from St. George).

It was obvious fate was encouraging our families to vacation in St George that weekend, have Jake contest the ticket while down there, and Amy and I road trip the hour or so to Vegas from there for the concert.

The only thing holding us back--it seemed--was the $150 tickets to see NKOTB. A little steep. Even for my crush, Jordan Knight. The obvious solution? Hold an online bake sale. I am not kidding.

Here are some of our awesome goods:



We earned exactly enough in our bake sale to pay for the tickets. Meant to be right?
No.

Nevada only hears traffic cases on Wednesday mornings at 7 am. We would have to go down on a Tuesday and stay the night, which would mean an entire week off work for Jake. Not going to happen. Intentional by Nevada State, I am sure. And Criminal.

Then a whole series of horrible events transpired which started with kids puking in the car on the way down and ended in Amy and I leaving the concert during the opening act to make it back to St. George to be with her 2-year old in the hospital. Yeah.

We're still recovering a little bit. But if nothing else, we did get a few cute pics from the weekend:

Indoor swimming in the neighborhood since Amy had to stay at the house with her still-puking child.
Ice cream at Blue Bunny!
Zions National Park- Going to find us a lizard!
The appropriately-named hike, "Weeping Falls". Our friend's daughter, posing for the photo in front, was feeling sick again.
Sand Hollow! I loved the bright red sand.
Super-pretty scenery!
AND this is as close as we got to the New Kids. This was the opening act. We made it about 2 minutes into it before had to rush to the hospital.
Don't worry, her son was released the next day and fully recovered. Amy gave me these from the boutique as a consolation:


Now for my super cute story!
Taylor hung a birthday party invitation on the fridge today. She used the magnet of Jordan Knight. She pointed it out to me and said, "You know why I picked him?" I said, "Why?" She said, "Because he's honk."I said "He's what?" She said, "What is the word you use when a boy is handsome?" I said, "Hot?"She said, "Yeah, he's hot."
YES!
Then Chase came over and said, "Do you want to know which one I think is hot?"I said, "No."He picked Jordan too.
What can I say, they have great taste.

6 comments:

brooke said...

That is seriously the best and worst story I have ever heard. Did Jake get out of the ticket at least?
And, did you get "swimmers itch" from Sand Hollow (umm, nasty!)

Michelle Taft said...

No Jake wasn'te ven able to contest it because he had to be there on Wed morning which was impossible!
And what?! Swimmers Itch?! Did you get swimmers itch when you were in St George?

Amy said...

Well told. 3 weeks later I am feeling like I MIGHT be able to go on. Thanks for posting so I know you aren't trying to bury these memories forever.

brooke said...

Oh I didn't catch that he never got to contest it but you still went that weekend. Got it. I didn't go to Sand Hollow but the rest of Aaron's fam did and I guess there were big signs up warning about "swimmer's itch!" the park guys told them to protect themselves they should cover EVERY part of their body with sunscreen (every part!) sick, huh? Maybe it was gone by the time you got there.

Michelle Taft said...

Ew! No, no swimmer's itch. OR any warning signs, which is a good thing because we would have turned right back around I think.

sunnyside said...

I never heard full details. Very enriching experience. You are a good friend :o)