Monday, August 11, 2008

Get into a routine.

Get into a routine.

The last 6 years have been glorious.
Sadly, those days are now over. That's right, people, I have to set my alarm clock again.

I stretched it out as long as I could by putting Taylor in afternoon kindergarten last year but first grade started last month and I'm afraid for the next 14 years--there's no going back.

We said goodbye to our days of luxurious lazy mornings with a "Mermaid and Pirate Treasure Party" to celebrate the kids' birthdays on our last weekend of freedom. I wish I had thought to take pictures of the kids sifting through a sand-filled plastic pool for buried treasure but here is a photo of some of Chase's booty.

















I did get this photo of the pirates after the party:


After a treasure map hunt, a seaweed wrap relay, dress-up, presents and cake, the summer was officially over. And it was sitll July. Cruel, this year-round school, isn't it?

Also ending after 6 years is Taylor's tolerance of my obsessive picture-taking. She refused to pose for a first day of first grade photo so I had to be tricky and tell her I was taking Chase's picture. Then I placed Chase right in front of her so I could get her in the background. Sneaky, Sneaky!























Making it even harder to get out of bed in the morning, I hurt my back helping move a playset into our yard that we bought from the neighbors. The monster took ten people to relocate. Here is a picture of Jake's family moving the little piece:


Here is a picture of the whole thing. I couldn't even get it all in the picture but it is very big. And very, very heavy.

Because of a lingering guilt over the kids' stolen summer, I let them have a taste of those carefree months tonight. Literally. The ice cream man came into the circle and I couldn't say no.

This is Chase's before picture:

Aaaaaaand the after picture:


Taylor was still opposed to photographs so this was the best I could get from her (lucky for me the ice cream had an uncanny resemblence) :


But ice cream can do a lot of things for one's spirit and it wasn't long before she was smiling for the camera along with all the other neighbor kids:

Goodbye sweet summer and sleepy mornings. It was a good ride my friends.

2 comments:

Amy said...

What a good mom. Haily came running home from walking Taylor home looking for ice cream money and I shut the blinds and locked all the doors! My poor kids. Paige told me several times today how she has the worst life ever and how she wishes I wasn't her mom. That always helps the spirits.

Tonii said...

I feel for you Michelle! I am freaking out that I am going to have to get my girls up so Skylar can go to pre-school twice a week. I can't even imagine first grade :) Your kids are adorable!